A letter was sent to all students and parents advising that the schools are aware of the flu strain and outlined a few guidelines:
- Students with the flu will be asked to stay home until they are fever-free for at least 24 hours without the use of fever-reducing medications, generally 3-5 days.
- Frequent hand washing is encouraged.
- Surfaces that are frequently touched or handled will be regularly cleaned and disinfected.
- Children who are sick at school will be moved to a sick room and parents will be asked to pick them up.
- School closings will remain an option, though "current recommendations are to take such an action only if there is evidence that other measures are not working."
The seasonal (regular) flu vaccine is recommended for all school-aged children, especially those with underlying health problems. This vaccine will not protect against the swine flu.
For more info on the flu, the School District encourages you to check out www.health.state.pa.us, www.cdc.gov and www.flu.gov - you can also contact the Pennsylvania Department of Health (1.877.PA.HEALTH).