10.09.2009

Who Makes the Rules, Anyway?

I recently had an interesting discussion with a parent who was angry because a teacher at her child's school had a very different style of discipline than the parent. The parent felt that the teacher should make more of an effort to support the parent's discipline efforts instead of the other way around.

My friend who teaches said that this is a remarkably common school of thought, this idea that parents set the standards and schools should make an effort to work around those standards. Another friend agreed saying that teachers and schools are merely "borrowing" our kids and shouldn't endeavor to change them.

I'm not sure how I feel about all of this. I certainly don't expect the teachers at my kids' school to attempt to grasp my personal parenting style - and that of 20 other sets of parents. But I do understand the idea that, at the end of the day, the parent is the parent.

For the record, the principal at our school has been very adamant that the school sets the rules and the children (and parents) must follow them, no exceptions.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment