2.16.2010

School's Back in Session

School was back in session today after a week off due to snow - and President's Day - but mostly snow. The walk up was quite an experience. Notwithstanding the neighbors who remarkably felt that they didn't need to shovel despite the record snowfall totals, it was nice out. There's something both calming and exciting about snow all at the same time.

Unfortunately, the City did a pretty miserable job of clearing its own properties. The piles of snow around the school were huge and made it difficult to get everyone in on time. Supposedly, they're working on fixing it for tomorrow. We'll see.

Even with all of the chaos and piles of snow, I can't really complain. I was thankful not to have to get into the car and drive to school. If that had been the case, I would guess that my kids would have sat out a few more days of school. While it's true that the major roads around Philly are fine, the smaller streets (like the one that I live on) are still largely huge sheets of ice. I wouldn't put my kids in the car unless I had no other options - and thankfully, that wasn't our reality.

Instead, we piled on the snow gear and headed out the door. It was, I thought, a nice way to start the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment