9.09.2010

The First Week

It's been an odd first week of school this year. Labor Day, as usual, kicked off the week so that school started on Tuesday. This year, Rosh Hashanah also fell in the first full week of school which meant that Thursday and Friday were holidays. The kids started on Tuesday, went for a day, and now have two days off. It has made for an awkward start to the school year for sure.

I'll admit that I was a bit concerned about this year. Our school has undergone some significant changes (actually, most schools in Philadelphia have this year, I think) and I was, as many other parents, biting my nails that they were for the best. Fingers are still crossed.

The communication for the first day of school wasn't stellar. I've been racking my brain trying to recall whether it was any better at the private school. For the life of me, I just can't remember.

Despite my concerns, the first couple of days came and went and the kids were happy. We finally got classroom assignments and supplies lists... I suspect that we, like most of Philadelphia, will be shopping for crayons and markers this weekend.

Actually, the whole first week of school was quite uneventful. That's probably a good thing.

Any exciting first day of school stories on your end?

1 comment:

  1. While I am grateful that I found out Wednesday evening (before they closed for two days) that my children's transfer from their old neighborhood school was approved. They have yet to be assigned to a new school and they have missed out on the first couple of days at school. My kids ask me to please go to school on a daily basis. It not only breaks my heart but makes me angrier at the lack of accountability. My children were attacked at their school and yet they are the ones missing out on the experience of the first day of school. Sad.

    ReplyDelete